[Air-l] metaphors for internet security

Allan A Friedman allan at merlin.sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Jun 3 12:14:43 PDT 2003

From: jeremy hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu>

>the problem with the body metaphor is that it is quite hard to seize
>total control of  someone's body and mind...  but it isn't that hard to
>take control of a computer, even without any virus, etc.

True, but I really liked the body metaphor, especially from the threat
model perspective and looking at how people behave.  I would venture that
people approach computer security risks more from a hygiene perspective:

* Many people have a vague idea of how [security flaws/illnesses] happen
* There is a lot of misinformation, made manifest through behavior that an
expert would consider irrational.
* It's correlated to a degree of trust: we won't get infected by people
we're close to
* There are plenty of media scares that lead to
* Over-estimation of rare risks (credit card theft, getting AIDS by using
a public restroom), and an under-estimation of the damage from common
behavior (not washing hands, opening an unexpected attachment)
* The overall system has proven to be very resilient, but it's very easy
to concieve of catastrophes.

...and we can even prescribe secure behavior in terms of hygiene:

* Don't download or open files that you don't know to be clean
* Use professional [security/medical] services every so often
* Keep informed from _reliable_ news sites

/\llan

Allan Friedman
Pre-Doctoral Candidate, Public Policy
Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University