[Air-l] metaphors for internet security

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Jun 3 12:44:29 PDT 2003

yes, i can see your point are valid at the atomic level of the
individual machine, but i don't know if they can scale to a molar level
analysis in terms of internet connections. Certainly some parts of the
body metaphor scale because they deal with mass culture, social
effects, but some parts of it, such as barriers, multiple systems,
might not scale as well.  for instance, while there are, in the current
network, many nocs that could be seen as sort of a central nervous
system of some sort, they function independently than the human body,
perhaps we are just talking about a different kind of body in general.

one concept and metaphor that I've been quite wary of is the idea of
trust....  trust between computers, trust between humans and computers,
etc.  most of the time trust reduces to some form of security.