[Air-l] The Information Society (TIS) update

harmeet s. sawhney hsawhney at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 6 10:06:43 PDT 2003

The Information Society (TIS) update

Rob's sudden passing away on May 15th was a shock for everybody,
especially so for those of us who had been interacting with him almost on
a daily basis. It felt so unreal.  For a while we kept TIS humming on an
ad hoc basis.  We now have a more formal arrangement for TIS operations.
I will be serving as the interim editor till the end of this year.  I will
do my best to preserve the orientation that Rob gave to TIS.

Since I had the privilege of working with Rob over the last three years, I
have been asked: What was Rob's vision for TIS?  In my opinion, it was not
so much a vision but an attitude that Rob brought to TIS that made all the
difference.  He had no methodological fetish and welcomed works from any
perspective as long as they opened a window in the mind.  The results of
this openness are evident on the pages of TIS where juxtaposition of
papers drawn from disparate research traditions generates a surprising
harmony.  We are promoted to think beyond the confines of our own
cubbyholes.

Our challenge is to prolong this moment of openness for as long as
possible.   TIS continues to welcome good ideas from diverse sources.  If
you have an exciting project going, we look forward to hearing about it.

Harmeet Sawhney
Interim Editor, The Information Society

Associate Professor
Department of Telecommunications