[Air-l] Invitation to Participate and request for assistance

Kris Markman jho-kmm at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Jun 22 18:40:49 PDT 2003

Dear AOIR colleagues,

I would like to invite you to participate in a new study on email
user names and anonymity. The call for participants and information
on the study is below. I would also like to ask you to forward our
call for participants to other lists, groups, or individuals that you
think might be appropriate. We are trying to get a sample of
world-wide English speakers to complete our Web survey, and so the
international and interdisciplinary nature of AOIR made this list the
perfect place to start our publicity.

Thank you very much for your help and interest, and please feel free
to contact me if you have any questions.
-Kris Markman
Doctoral Student
The University of Texas at Austin
jho-kmm at mail.utexas.edu or  ut2003email_survey at earthlink.net
survey URL:
https://www.hostedware.com/secure/hs/takesurvey.asp?c=2003emailsurvey

P.S. I'd also love to get any feedback on the design and layout of the survey

*********
You are invited to participate in an online study of email addresses.
The purpose of this study is to gain an understanding into how people
personalize their email addresses, manage multiple email
addresses/accounts, and experience anonymity when using these
addresses. We would like to invite all English-speaking email users
age 18 and over worldwide to complete our survey, and we eventually
hope to have 400-500 respondents globally.

This survey is being conducted by researchers at the University of
Texas at Austin and has been approved by the Institutional Review
Board for the Protection of Human Subjects, Clarke A. Burnham, Ph.D.,
Chair. Questions about this research may be directed to the chair at:
The University of Texas at Austin, Office of Research Support &
Compliance, P.O. Box 7426, Austin, TX, 78713.

If you choose to participate it will take approximately 10 - 30
minutes to complete the survey depending on the number of email
addresses you have. All of your answers will be kept confidential by
the researchers. The information we collect will be used for academic
research purposes only and will not be used by or sold to any
commercial entities.

To take the survey, please go to:
https://www.hostedware.com/secure/hs/takesurvey.asp?c=2003emailsurvey

Thank your for your time and participation, and please feel free to
forward this URL to any other individuals or groups you think may be
interested. You should also feel free to contact us if you have any
other questions about this project.

Sincerely,

"Anonymity and Identity Management through Email Usernames" Study
Primary Investigators: Kris M. Markman and Craig R. Scott
The University of Texas at Austin
Department of Communication Studies
ut2003email_survey at earthlink.net