[Air-l] Communication research Methods

James Watt wattj at rpi.edu
Sat Jun 14 05:44:01 PDT 2003

Copies of the text "Research Methods for Communication Science" (Watt and
van den Berg), originally published by Allyn & Bacon, are available on-line
at http://www.llc.rpi.edu/web/ResearchMethodsForCommunicationScience/. It's
aimed at advanced undergraduate or beginning graduate students, and has
been used at a number of universities. We have recovered the copyright for
this book, and permission for individual use (single copy) is granted on
the opening page. It might be useful to students as an on-line resource.

I'd like to try an "open source" publishing experiment with this book,
expanding it to include many more specialized topics, examples (hopefully,
interactive), and teaching aids contributed by users. The model would be
the one developed by open-source computing communities: a review board that
accepts submissions from developers, verifies their utility and accuracy,
and then makes them available to the user community.

If anyone is interested in this experiment, please contact me off-list.

James H. Watt
Professor and Chair, Department of Language, Literature, and Communication
Director, Social and Behavioral Research Laboratory
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street, Sage Lab 4708
Troy, NY 12180-3590
email: wattj at rpi.edu