[Air-l] invitation to participate (and apologies for cross-posting)

radhika gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Sat Jun 21 07:13:34 PDT 2003

Project title "Theory Heads: Language, Society, Culture, Power and
Discourse in Everyday Wrything"

This work is based in my larger body of research/practice that mostly
explores technologically-mediated subjectivities (differing modes of agency
made possible and/or impossible within various technological environments)
- mapping intersections of theory/practice within diverse communities of
production. Thus cultural production and agency in the contexts I examine
(ethnographically and dialogically) are clearly linked to the economic
modes of production and to political and social ideologies.
Central questions guiding this project
"How are subjectivities shaped in (multiple) technological environments
across time, space and place?"
"What (discursive/material) agents are produced through the intersection of
theory and practice associated with specific technologically-mediated
contexts?"
My approach to the exploration of these questions in the MOO context is to
performatively place various theorists (some not known to the western
Academic world) in dialogue. I will be building various objects that will
function to create environment and discussion and curiosity in various
ways, inviting visitors (implicitly and explicitly) to engage with familiar
(to them) and unfamiliar theoretical frameworks. Performatively speaking,
they will be encouraged to inhabit a certain kind of subjectivity based in
the context(s) I build. The project is cross-cultural and international in
nature, for it draws on the philosophical and spiritual
knowledges/experiences/explorations of various participants in this project
(and there is an open invitation for people interested to participate) - as
well as that of students and colleagues and family members participating in
some way directly and indirectly.
The intention is to build objects symbolic of Eastern, African, European
and American "theorists," poets, bards, singers, spiritual icons, fictional
characters, mythological characters, hollywood characters, bollywood
characters and so on - portrayed through interpretive lenses of personal
experience and re-examinings of meanings in relation to postcolonial
negotiations of the everyday. The goal is to eventually build a larger
virtual space where other participants can come in and build into this
multiplicity of dialogues - but that may not happen on PMC2 moo necessarily
(to this end, Pratap Gajjala and I, with the help and advice of various
programming gurus, are designing a moo space which we intend to launch
sometime in the summer or fall of 2004).
This setting also functions as a pedagogical stage for my graduate students
and co-authors working on related projects (they are also built in as
objects and as theorists in various ways), and I get to explore the
pedagogic potential of this virtual moo space in relation to various
philosophical and epistemological debates about the virtual/real.
You may find me and my various homes on PMC2 -moo [feel free to sign on as
guest and when you get there, type @go perhaps ; @go denise ; @go Robert's
...], Linguamoo and Mediamoo
Should you wish to participate in this project - please apply by sending me
an email describing how you see yourself fitting into this plan.

http://www.cyberdiva.org/erniestuff/theoryheads.htm