[Air-l] ad for post doc

dona a tversky dt at media.mit.edu
Fri Jun 27 09:54:30 PDT 2003

To whom it may concern...

I work on a project studying the effects on children of participation in the Junior
Summit '98, a global online community.  My PI and I are currently looking
for a post-doc in the Chicago area to work with us on some the of the data
analysis, among other tasks.

Can we post the ad with you somewhere?

Many thanks,
Dona Tversky

Professor Justine Cassell (currently MIT Media Lab; soon to be Northwestern
University School of Communications) is seeking a post-doctoral fellow for
a full-time, two-year NSF-funded position looking at children's development
and technology use. The successful candidate will have completed a Ph.D. in
Social Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Psycholinguistics, Educational
Technology or a related area and have experience in both quantitative and
qualitative data analysis.  Technological competence (Java, C++) is a
definite advantage, but not required. Ideally the fellow will have a
background in statistics with experience in traditional and non-traditional
study design of longitudinal and cross-sectional studies, and analyzing
large sets of quantitative and qualitative data.  The fellow may expect to
come away with publications and writing experience.

The fellow will be working with two teams: (1) developing and evaluating
technology to support emerging literacy among young children; (2) analyzing
(questionnaire, interview, and logs of online discourse) data from a large
scale study of a children's internet community.  Both teams consist of
graduate and undergraduate researchers and are directed by Professor
Justine Cassell.

The position is based at Northwestern University in Chicago.  Start date is
as soon as possible (summer '03). The possibility exists of splitting this
position into two half-time fellowships.  Salary commensurate with
experience. Please send CV and 2 letters of recommendation to:

Professor Justine Cassell
justine at media.mit.edu