[Air-l] online voting

ell at bradley.edu ell at bradley.edu
Mon Jun 23 16:23:52 PDT 2003

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I've written a brief conference report (well... a debate report) from
> today's event.
>
> I hope this is of interest,
> Christian

Christian's post reminded me that we had an occurence here that might be of
interest...that I forgot to note for the group.

Our student government, in cooperation with computing services, held online
elections for student officers is past spring. Both sponsoring parties were
"sure" about security. It failed. The vote was compromised by users who
obtained user log ons and passwords [no one is saying how or how many] and
voted [no one is saying how or how many times] illegally. The election had to
be reheld, the old way. HUGE inconvenience.

Computing services has now put in good lord knows how many hours across all of
their security procedures, including a new firewall (planned before the snafu).

Anecdotes (esp. from small and relatively insignificant places) don't set the
course of technological change. However, early adopters' experiences do seem to
"add up," sometimes.

We are a little skittish here, now...

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Speech Communication and Multimedia
Bradley University
Peoria IL 61625
309-677-2378
http://hilltop.bradley.edu/~ell
Editor, Journal of Communication and Religion
http://gcc.bradley.edu/com/faculty/lamoureux/rsca/index.html