[Air-l] The internet as community

Paul-Brian McInerney pm263 at columbia.edu
Sat Mar 8 15:17:57 PST 2003

Barry,

Though it's only peripherally related, Richard Powers's Plowing the Dark is
a great novel, part of which takes place on the campus of a high-tech firm
producing cutting-edge VR technologies.

Non-fiction: I'd nominate Stacy Horn's Cyberville.

-Paul-Brian

On 3/8/03 12:55 PM, "Barry Wellman" <wellman at chass.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Folks,
> My apologies for crossposting, but this may be fun for some of you:
>
> I'm the Technology and Community subeditor of the Sage Encyclopedia of
> Community, 4 vols, due out 6/03.
>
> As the final act in its production, we are compiling a list of popular
> stuff related to community. I'd dearly love to include a bunch related to
> the Internet. Some categories; Non Fiction Books (I've already put in
> Rheingold - Virtual Community, 2d ed), Fictional Books (I've
> already put in Handmaid's Tale, Snowcrash, Neuromancer), Music, Shows,
> Films.
>
> If you have any ideas, please send them to me. Remember, no technical
> stuff and no papers.
>
> Thanks,
> Barry
>
> Barry Wellman        Professor of Sociology       NetLab Director
> wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
>
> Centre for Urban & Community Studies        University of Toronto
> 455 Spadina Avenue   Toronto Canada M5S 2G8   fax:+1-416-978-7162

Paul-Brian McInerney
Sociology Graduate Student
Columbia University
pm263 at columbia.edu
http://www.columbia.edu/~pm263
H. 718.626.4379
M. 646.321.6036
An artist never really finishes his work, he merely abandons it.
-Paul Valery