[Air-l] usenet demographics

Scott A. Golder golder at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 14 08:59:40 PST 2003

I'm in the process of completing my thesis on the development of different
social roles in usenet, and am trying to find some demographic statistics
to shed some light on my qualitative findings.

More specifically, I'm interested in knowing how many newsgroups are in
existence (with worldwide distribution), how many distinct people
participate in these groups, and what the gender balance is.

If anyone knows of a source for such statistics and could point me to it, I
would appreciate it.

Scott

Scott A. Golder
golder at fas.harvard.edu