[Air-l] <nettime> Aljazeera VS. U.S (fwd)

Randolph Kluver (Assoc Prof) TRKluver at ntu.edu.sg
Thu Mar 27 17:20:34 PST 2003

There are a couple of very troubling omissions from this reporting about
Al Jazeera.

First, the article doesn't mention that Iraq also has shut down Al
Jazeera before, for misusing Saddam Hussein's proper title. In fact, Al
Jezeera has at one time or another been shut down by most Arab
governments, and is consistently being shut down by one government or
another, primarily over minor slights, but then allowed to reopen. I
guess I also find it quite curious that Libya is referred to as an ally
of the West.  Maybe I missed that treaty signing.

The other critical ommission is that Al Jazeera is a satellite channel,
and thus it is impossible for one nation to "shut down" the satellite.
Rather, what they do is to close the local news bureau for awhile, then
after things calm down, reopen it.  Al Jazeera operates under two rules,
it cannot say anything against the Qatari government, nor the royal
family. Other than this, it can say anything about anybody else.  This
has brought the government of Qatar under immense pressure at times from
other Arab states for allowing it to attack their own governments.
Moreover, as a satellite channel, Al Jazeera doesn't find its biggest
audience among the lower socio-economic strata, who, of course, can't
afford satellite receivers, but rather the middle and upper classes in
the Arab world.  It is inconceivable to me that Gatsby can wonder if Al
Jazeera put Palestine "on the international agenda" when the network has
only been broadcasting since 1996.  Palestine has been on the
international agenda much longer.

Besides the omissions, gatsby's piece actually misrepresents Al Jazeera.
Al Jazeera is not consistently known for its "in depth, high quality"
reporting. It is known first and foremost for its focus on conflict and
sensationalism, exemplified most recently by its broadcasting of the
most gruesome pictures imaginable, including one with a US soldier with
a bullet hole in his head (I did log on before it became victimized by
hackers).  If a US based satellite or cable channel broadcast such
stuff, it would be loudly criticized by a host of liberals, and probably
warrant attention from the FCC.

Al Jazeera does indeed at times present intelligent discussions of
controversial issues within the arabic world, and thus is a breath of
fresh air, because it does bring taboo issues to the forefront.  It also
does have higher production values than many Arabic media, because much
of its staff trained with outfits like CNN and BBC.  However, the idea
that it is some sort of honest voice of the Arab world is laughable.  If
Al Jazeera operated in the West, it would be treated with much more
contempt by liberals, in a sense "murdochized."

Not to defend US media, which I don't trust much myself, but when gatsby
says the US press "NEVER mentions" that the US supported Saddam Hussein
in the 80's, I wonder which planet he lives on.  Certainly not the one I
live on.  Moreover, putting Saddam Hussein in place in the  80's in the
midst of the cold war seemed a reasonable thing to do, much like
supporting the Afghani mujahadeen against the Soviets did.  It might be
remembered that Iran overthrew the Shaw in 1979, and containing Islamic
fundamentalism with a strong neighbor was reasonable.  At that time, did
the West have any idea what Saddam Hussein would become?  Anybody who
has ever had a divorce might realize the illogic that drives this
particular argument.

A. Randolph Kluver
School of Communication and Information
Nanyang Technological University