[Air-l] why just Aljazeera?

Gina Neff ginasue at panix.com
Fri Mar 28 04:56:04 PST 2003

I agree with Randolph: While Al Jazeera certainly has more name recognition in the English speaking West, there are more reliable and interesting sources in English for news from Arabic language sources. Al Hayat, the pan-Arab expat paper published in London now has an English language site.

http://english.daralhayat.com/

Al Ahram, the English language Egyptian weekly is also online

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/

Both have high quality reporting and opinionated columnists without the blood and gore of Fox-news-esque Al Jazeera. Al Ahram, for example has recently run columns by Azmi Bishara, the Palestinian member of the Israeli Knesset who has been indicted for his political views, a column by Chomsky, and a round table with Edward Said. CNN pointed to the so-called "bias" in the Arab press by criticizing an Al Hayat editorial cartoon that dared to suggest that American democracy might not be all its cracked up to be (it shows, of all heretical things, The Statue of Liberty hitchhiking out of New York with the words "human rights" written on her tablet). For my time, both are more interesting than the sensationalism of Al Jazeera, and both present an pan-arabist, non-fundamentalist take on the Iraqi conflict.

Gina