[Air-l] So Much For Embedding

Maximilian C. Forte mcforte at kacike.org
Tue Mar 25 21:03:31 PST 2003

It is interesting to note, with reference to the "embedded" media aspect,
that while there are 600 "embedded" journalists--now that "embedded" has
become a military buzz word, they have spoiled the word for me--there is
hardly and evidence of reporting from 600 people. Indeed, in the course of a
day, we are hearing very, very little in the way of updates and breaking
news, and the staged media briefings are still playing a paramount role.

More than that, embedding has clearly been a way of controlling, not
facilitating media coverage. Moreover, embedding favoured nations in the
coalition of the billing is an obvious attempt to slant preferences, so that
Canadian journalists were instead offered such "hot" places for embedding as
Fort Bliss in Texas, or an anti-aircraft battery in Kuwait City.

And to repeat what has already been noted by others, nobody seems to be
embedded with actual Iraqi civilians, who remain mysterious and
faceless--once again--as their already destroyed country is pummelled and
bludgeoned even further. In fact, most of the reports I have already read,
where journalists interact with Iraqi civilians in ways that disturb the
official line that "they are all for us and will welcome us", come from
non-embedded Reuters reporters who have been warned to return to Kuwait. Now
non-embeddedness becomes a war threat too, as a Pentagon spokesperson said
"Iraqi irregulars may pose as independent journalists" and presumably may
come under US fire in the coming days.

Most of the American reporters are clearly acting as cheer leaders in this
war anyway, with very little in the way of critical analysis or concrete
information, and too much of the "one of the boys" atmosphere surrounding
their visually crummy and empirically shallow videophone reports. Few are
hardly noting the rapid accumulation of contradictions in the official line:
speed matters, look how fast we are, wow, this is real velocity, we can just
ignore Basra, come on it's practically ours anyway....to: we need to take
care of the hot spots in Basra, the points in between are crucial. Yet,
everything is going according to plan, and yes they planned for all
contingencies. Normally, everyone would be laughing out loud at this, were
it not for what I fear is a more than Soviet style regimentation of American
popular consciousness, or at least, its mediated representations.

Cheers,

Max.

Dr. Maximilian C. Forte
Editor
CARIBBEAN AMERINDIAN CENTRELINK
http://www.centrelink.org
Editor
KACIKE: The Journal of Caribbean Amerindian History and Anthropology
http://www.kacike.org