[Air-l] Denial of Service attack against al Jazeera

Charlie Breindahl hitch at acm.org
Thu Mar 27 01:48:01 PST 2003

For a very interesting treatment of the conditions of war in the internet
age you might read Phil Agre's essay "Imagining the Next War:
Infrastructural Warfare and the Conditions of Democracy." It is written 14
September 2001.

A short excerpt:
"The danger of "total war" against the spectre named Osama bin Laden,
then, is that it will reinforce the worst tendencies in our society,
and that far from preserving the conditions of democracy it will
undermine the cultural and institutional foundations upon which
democracy rests.  It will be war without end, without boundaries,
without even a coherent conception of itself save as the expression
of an impulse to vengeance."

http://commons.somewhere.com/rre/2001/RRE.Imagining.the.Next.W.html

Best,
Charlie