[Air-l] peace

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Wed Mar 19 19:06:43 PST 2003

I would not be at all surprised if many, maybe most, subscribers to
air-l are on other lists in which the conversation is non-stop about
the war (regardless of whether that is "on topic" for those lists).
Perhaps air-l is a haven of on-topic-ness. Maybe very few people are
paying attention to air-l right now. Maybe, as I have seen with some
of my students, some people are "warred out" and don't wish to talk
about it. I also expect that people are otherwise engaged about this
war in ways _not_ involving the internet, whether they are seeking
peace or not when it comes to this war. And there are likely many
people right now seeking news, being with family and friends, etc.,
and not being very attentive to email lists (or the internet
generally).

I would also not be surprised if there were those concerned about
publicly posting a comment about the war, and I would want to be
respectful of that. It does not matter that I believe or would like
to believe and convince them, and everyone, that there is nothing to
be concerned about raising one's voice, for even if there is nothing
to be concerned about there are those who wish not to speak and to
coerce speech is not necessarily better than to silence it.

I have found myself flooded with email about the war, but I do
wonder, as Nils asks, whether the internet will matter in the case of
this war. If, in fact, the fighting begins, one may want to say that
it has not and will not. But the internet will matter in other ways,
even if its collective outpourings do not succeed in bringing peace
and avoiding war. There are the perhaps mundane ways, such as those
mentioned in a USA Today article
(http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-03-18-iraq-internet_x.htm)
concerning web-based news coverage of the war, and we should keep in
mind that television had a significant role to play in U.S. public
opinion about the war in Vietnam. Perhaps the internet will have
similar consequences and at a more rapid pace than did the older
medium. And there are the incredibly meaningful ways in which the
internet might matter, by allowing families and friends to be in
contact, as I have witnessed with my colleague at the university
whose son is in the military and was ordered to Kuwait a couple of
weeks ago.

That the "deadline" set by the U.S. for Saddam Hussein to leave Iraq
has passed and that there has not been immediate and massive military
action is at least a glimmer of continued hope, and false though it
may be, I'll take it. There is little available at the moment but
hope for peace.

Be well and be safe,
Sj