[Air-l] peace

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Thu Mar 20 10:53:39 PST 2003

While I do feel AoIR and air-l are communities, I don't feel that
they are one community, and further don't feel that we get what we
need from any one community.

The interesting question that Danny initially asks, that I've been
interested in for a very long time, is to do with our expectations
for community. Should we expect discussion of the war, silence about
it, or ignorance of it, how do those expectations come about and how
do they change? How do we get what we need/want from communities to
which we belong, and how do those needs/wants change?

I particularly appreciate your follow-up, Danny, as you've not just
asked the question but tried to answer it from your perspective. My
own perspective matches much of your own. It's important to note that
all conversations occur in some sense at the expense of others, in
part because when a voice is raised it is difficult to raise others
without causing a din, but mainly because such is time (itself an
_enormously_ under-studied matter in internet studies, the cost of a
focus on space) that as conversations go on, if they are to be
conversations, things that might have been said pass by or change.

The question of difference...enormously important, for as Danny notes
there are multiple values at work and at stake. Right now it is more
important than the other questions that can be taken up later. I am
hopeful that all who want to make a difference in the world at this
moment are engaged in so doing, and if air-l or AoIR can make a
difference I am hopeful that it will, the cost of that difference to
either notwithstanding at all.

Sj