[Air-l] peace

Drouin.Jacques at ic.gc.ca Drouin.Jacques at ic.gc.ca
Thu Mar 20 12:05:21 PST 2003

For those of you who are interested in the Canadian/US experience with
broadband Internet, here are some comparative OECD stats on BB internet
penetration:

The following tables show the number of broadband subscribers for 2000, 2001
and June 2002 in both Canada and the US. as well as total broadband
subscribers per 100 inhabitants and growth rates. The data clearly show that
Canada has a significant lead over the U.S. in broadband penetration and
that growth is rapid in both countries.

Number of Broadband Subscribers in Canada and the U.S.
(Includes DSL subscriber lines, cable modem subscribers and other)

		2000		2001		June 2002
Canada 	1,392,600	2,730,000	3,178,800

U.S. 		5,559,975	12,792,812	16,068,271

Total Broadband subscribers per 100 inhabitants
		2001		June 2002
Canada 	8.88		10.3
U.S. 		4.65		  5.8

Growth rate of broadband subscribers (based on OECD figures)
		2000-2001		December 2001 to June 2002
Canada 	96%				16%
 U.S. 	130%				26%

Source:  OECD December 2002 TISP report entitled "Broadband Access for
Business". Anther source, Comscore Media Metrics (march 2003), show a 53.6%
broadband subscription rate among Internet connected homes in Canada vs
33.8% in the US.

I also recommend you visit our broadband program site at :
www.broadband.gc.ca to learn more about our broadband pilot program for
rural and northern communities. You will see that 89 applications involving
1149 rural and remote communities applied so far to the program. These
communities are now developing connectivity business plans which they have
to submit by May 22. Through a competitive selection process, selected
applications will receive government funding of up to 50% of eligible
expenses to bring broadband capability to their community. We expect another
wave of about 100 applications by March 28 involving perhaps another 600-800
communities. Now, think of the potential these communities represent for
research purposes.