[Air-l] FW: Slogans from War-Related Demonstrations - a Research Collecti ons Initiative

Walker, Steve [IES] S.Walker at lmu.ac.uk
Sun Mar 23 14:07:02 PST 2003

The following may be of interest,

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Powles John
Sent: 21 March 2003 15:56
To: * GCU All Staff
Subject: Slogans from War-Related Demonstrations - a Research
Collections Initiative

Slogans from War-Related Demonstrations - a Collecting Initiative

Much of the material held to date by Research Collections is related to
left wing politics and pressure groups. In the course of our recent work
we have become aware of the many slogans being used at war-related
demonstrations all over the world. We are now collecting together these
slogans, together with links to other collections of relevant materials
(links section coming soon).

The slogans are being listed, together with a form for sending us
contributions to the list, at
<http://www.lib.gcal.ac.uk/researchcollections/antiwar.htm>
http://www.lib.gcal.ac.uk/researchcollections/antiwar.htm

Much of this material is clearly ephemeral in nature, so we will be
organising and archivng as many as possible slogans for the benefit of
future researchers, once the current level of activity has died down.

An associated initiative to collect anti-war songs, which we have been
receiving on a daily basis for some weeks now, can be found at Research
Collections' Centre for Political Song <
<http://www.centreforpoliticalsong.gcal.ac.uk/>
http://www.centreforpoliticalsong.gcal.ac.uk/> website. Again,
submissions via the site are welcomed.

Please note: The relevant collections are headed Anti-War Slogans and
Anti-War Songs because as far as we can judge almost all the available
material appears to be anti-war. If anyone would like to submit slogans
noted from pro-war demonstrations (giving place and time if known), or
information about pro-war songs, we would be very grateful to receive
them, and add them to our collections. Given current e-mail activity I
would point out that, despite the nature of its collections, Research
Collections is politically neutral in its activities - as information
professionals we are here to facilitate research.

John Powles

Research Collections Manager

Glasgow Caledonian University

Tel: 0141-331-3920