[Air-l] Internet and Politics

Aldon Hynes ahynes1 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 17:30:27 PST 2003

I realize the discussion of the use of the Internet in
politics has come and gone here, and probably will
again from time to time.  However, I wanted to point
out an interesting occurance that is happening
tomorrow.

www.meetup.com has been providing a service,
particularly to the blogging community for people who
share a common online interest to meetup face to face.

They recently have setup meetup topics for the U.S.
Presidential candidates.  One candidate, Howard Dean,
has embraced this technology and will be going to the
meetup in New York City tomorrow.

Currently there are 270 people confirmed to attend the
meetup tomorrow making the Dean in 2004 the top topic
over the past seven days, and now eigth overall.  It
is also the eigth fastest growing topic over the past
week.

I am curious to know of other venues where people meet
initially online and then face to face as a form of
political organizing.