[Air-l] Web Site Feature Analysis

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Wed Mar 12 16:54:54 PST 2003

Thank you to those who answered my recent user time and e-mail query.

I have a new question - what are the best examples of web site
feature studies/comparisons?  Which ones provide valuable insights
and conclusions?

For the next few of months I will be doing research for the United
Nations on e-government and citizen participation.  (More on this
later.)  I plan to suggest in a paper a set of web site indicators,
perhaps a "Democracy Online Index" that could be applied in future
years when someone is trying to determine the level of e-democracy
activity on a government web site.  In the past, most e-government
ranking studies have focused on services or general content and
haven't had the granularity I'd like to see in the e-democracy area.

Below I have done my netizen duty and shared the links to studies
that I know about.  What am I missing in the e-government/e-politics
niche?  What about web site feature analysis of media sites or any
other category of site?

Please reply to (or the list and):  clift at publicus.net

Thanks,
Steven Clift
http://www.publicus.net

(long links need to be pasted together)

Specific examples of feature analysis of government/political web
sites:
==

Global E-Government, 2002 - Center for Public Policy, Brown
University
http://www.insidepolitics.org/egovt02int.html
(and many more ...)

Global E-Government Survey
http://www.unpan.org/egovernment2.asp

The Politics of State Legislature Websites: An Evaluation of Content
and Design
http://apsaproceedings.cup.org/Site/papers/038/038012FerberPaul.pdf

Plugged In, Tuning Up: An Assessment of State Legislative Websites
http://www.ombwatch.org/article/articleview/395/1/3/

2002 Local Government & Community Initiative (Michigan)
http://www.cyber-state.org/1_0/1_4_1.html

Cyberspace Policy Research Group - A number of items
http://www.cyprg.arizona.edu/
Including "Democracy and Bureaucracy in the Age of the Web:
Empirical Findings and Theoretical Speculations":
http://www.cyprg.arizona.edu/publications/democrac.rtf
Webbing Governance:
National Differences in Constructing the Face of Public Organizations
http://www.cyprg.arizona.edu/publications/webbing.rtf
And their "Website Attribute Evaluation System":
http://www.cyprg.arizona.edu/waes.html

2002 Candidate Web Sphere Analysis
http://politicalweb.info
Site Analyzer - 2004 Democratic Presidential Campaign Sites
http://politicalweb.info/2004.html

NetElection 2000
http://web.archive.org/web/20010424093217/netelection.org/research/sit
e-analysis-workshop/
http://web.archive.org/web/20010521145552/netelection.org/features/
http://web.archive.org/web/20010521145840/netelection.org/features/por
tals/

US State Political Party Sites Compared in 2000 Election
http://www.mail-archive.com/do-wire@tc.umn.edu/msg00375.html
http://www3.uakron.edu/bliss/partywebs/

Congress Online - Turning the Corner on the Information Age
http://www.congressonlineproject.org/webstudy2003.html
http://www.congressonlineproject.org/appendixa2003.html

Interaction between states and citizens in the age of the
Internet: "e-government" in the United States, Britain and the
European Union
http://pro.harvard.edu/papers/040/040004ChadwickAn.pdf

e-government - User-friendliness of Websites (NSW Auditor General's
Report)
http://www.audit.nsw.gov.au/perfaud-rep/Websites-June2002/websites-
June2002.pdf

Good websites predict 'excellent' councils says Socitms's Better
Connected 2003 report
http://www.socitm.gov.uk/Public/press+releases/20030228.htm

Political Organisations And Online Mobilisation: Different Media -
Same Outcomes?
http://www.esri.salford.ac.uk/ESRCResearchproject/papers/UK_online_org
_participation.pdf

Online and On Message? Candidate Websites in the 2001 General
Election (UK)
http://www.esri.salford.ac.uk/ESRCResearchproject/papers/mpgpaper.html

Information Society and the City - Metropolis
http://www.metropolis.org/metropolis/meteleclib.nsf/2a6bd98dee287482ca
256915001cff0c/672c5a02d76126b2ca256bb2001bc50a/$FILE/COMISION%204%20I
NGLES%2018.04.pdf

General Sources
===============

Electronic Government Project - Rankings and Reviews...
http://www.eagleton.rutgers.edu/e-gov/e-rankings.htm

UK EStatMap Collection
http://www.e-envoy.gov.uk/oee/oee.nsf/sections/e-statmap-
top/$file/estatmap.htm

Critical Choices in Web Research Design
http://aoir.org/2001/workshop.htm
Lead in part by those with: http://www.webarchivist.org

Other
=====

E-Government Ranking Survey Is Meaningless
http://www3.gartner.com/resources/101800/101888/101888.pdf

State of the e-Gov Nation - UK Survey
http://www.publicsectorforums.co.uk/page.cfm?pageID=111&language=eng

Bericht zum Stand von E-Government in der Schweiz 2002 (Swiss Survey)
http://verdi.unisg.ch/org/idt/ceegov.nsf/f130aeb8bd0118d6c1256c8a00416
f95/95530a8996fbb7cdc1256cde002ec918?OpenDocument