[Air-l] internet linguistic variety citations desired

elijah wright elw at stderr.org
Tue May 6 12:36:25 PDT 2003

Howdy folks - a co-conspirator and I are seeking citations regarding the
dominance of the English language on the internet.

Specifically, we are looking for media citations (popular media more than
acceptable - !!!WONDERFUL!!!, in fact!) of instances where individuals
have said:

that the amount of English used on the Internet doesn't (or will rapidly
cease to) matter for the following reasons (or anything similar):

(1) The Internet is global and distributed, so people will use their own
	languages on it,
(2) The growth of non-English users exceeds in rate the growth of
	English-speaking users,
(3) The technical affordances of the internet (Unicode, translation,
	etc.) have solved the language problems.

These seem to be popular conceptions, for which there may be very slim
published evidence.

Please respond off-list, and I'll post a condensed summary.

thanks,

elijah wright
school of library and information science
indiana university bloomington