[Air-l] RE: Air-l digest, Vol 1 #719 - 8 msgs

Sue Cranmer sue at jcranmer.freeserve.co.uk
Fri May 16 01:52:02 PDT 2003

Hi

In my research into how families use the internet, I have one user who
sends/receives emails frequently throughout the day but doesn't know how to
search on the web. She said she'd never had any reason to! (There is earlier
feminist research on women feeling the web isn't for them of course, can't
remember refs off the top of my head but maybe Dale Spender, Nattering on
the Net was one of them.) I visited this woman two years later and found
she'd ceased internet use altogether. I guess it doesn't work for everyone.

Sue

   2. Internet information sources (Marj Kibby)

>>> Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au 05/14/2003 6:34:05 PM >>>
As a member of many academic and hobby mailing lists I'm regularly
struck by requests to the list for information that could have been
uncovered by a web search.

Today for example there was an 'urgent' request on a list for info on
Terrence Malick's use of Walt Whitman, from a Cultural Studies
professor. A web search on the two names brought up a number of good
articles.

Anyone know whether this is widespread, or have any explanation why
Internet users would email others for information rather than search the
web?

Cheers,
Marj

Dr Marjorie Kibby, Senior Lecturer in Communication & Culture
The University of Newcastle,  Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
+61 2 49216604