[Air-l] Internet information sources

Karim R. Lakhani lakhani at MIT.EDU
Wed May 14 16:00:03 PDT 2003

interesting question.

in my research (with eric von hippel) on user-to-user technical support
for apache web server - we found that most information seekers had
already invested significant time in prior searches before posting their
questions on the newsgroup. having not found the answer they were
looking for they then went to the newsgroup and posted a request for
help. interestingly those on the newsgroup were not there to help -
rather they were there to learn.  most information providers just gave
them information that they had at hand. the question-answer transaction
had asymetric costs and benefits.  information providers spent less than
5 minutes composing the answers and information seekers reported about 3
hours in time savings from those answers.

so i think most people post for help in the hope that someone will have
*exactly* or close to exactly the solution they need.  so in your
instance getting the right list (may be even vetted by an experienced
person) from a person would be more valuable than just getting a
gazillion hits via google.

best,

Karim R. Lakhani
MIT Sloan School of Management
MIT Free/Open Source Software Research Project
e-mail: karim.lakhani at sloan.mit.edu
voice:  617-851-1224
fax:    617-344-0403
http://spoudaiospaizen.net/