[Air-l] Internet information sources

Irene Berkowitz berkowitz at mail.temple.edu
Thu May 15 06:44:59 PDT 2003

Don't know why -- (as the song goes) but I see it a lot and wonder
myself.  Maybe people want more authoritative references?

Irene Berkowitz
Program Director, Curricular Publications and Systems
Office of the Vice Provost
Temple University
tel. 215-204-7596  fax. 215-204 3175
berkowitz at mail.temple.edu

>>> Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au 05/14/2003 6:34:05 PM >>>
As a member of many academic and hobby mailing lists I'm regularly
struck by requests to the list for information that could have been
uncovered by a web search.

Today for example there was an 'urgent' request on a list for info on
Terrence Malick's use of Walt Whitman, from a Cultural Studies
professor. A web search on the two names brought up a number of good
articles.

Anyone know whether this is widespread, or have any explanation why
Internet users would email others for information rather than search the
web?

Cheers,
Marj

Dr Marjorie Kibby, Senior Lecturer in Communication & Culture
The University of Newcastle,  Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
+61 2 49216604