[Air-l] Internet information sources

Denise Carter denisecarter at denisecarter.net
Fri May 16 09:52:24 PDT 2003

>Jenny said
> Another side benefit is that I started small dialogues with a number of
> the people who sent me recommendations after the request went out to the
> list. From a social network/social capital perspective, it is beneficial
> to query and start these conversations. I "met" some people I didn't
> know, and a few asked me to keep in touch . . . . The social net widens.

like jenny i have also benefitted enormously from the social network/social
capital perspective of asking questions on different lists. Since many of
the subsequent conversations take place off list then perhaps this side of
it is not immediately apparent.

>Marj said
>Today for example there was an 'urgent' request on a list for info on
Terrence Malick's use of Walt Whitman, from a >Cultural Studies professor. A
web search on the two names brought up a number of good articles.

even though a web search brings up a number of good articles I like to ask
colleagues and list members just in case I miss the 'perfect' article. I
also feel that it is valuable because not all articles are reviewed, so it
is beneficial to ask the opinion of someone who has read it

regards
denise

Denise Maia Carter,
CASS,