[Air-l] Internet information sources

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Sun May 18 17:42:10 PDT 2003

Dear Air-ers -

This is a bit obvious but the university system in
Australia is in crisis with plagiarism - with
estimates running between 8-30% of all student work
submitted for marking has been plagiarized - with
internet papers, internet sources being near the top
of the list. (At SCU, collecting previous exam papers
from the library and recycling them into essays still
seems popular).

This - throw it on the list - attitude can be found in
students who *email their instructors* to provide them
with a detailed list of references for their
assignments! The night before it's due! Brabazon (see
below) says she receives about 240 emails PER DAY
while the semester is on - many -in fact, most having
to do with assignment details - while the digital
discussion room remains silent and empty -

For more on this topic see Barazon, Tara, _Digital
Hemlock_ 2002, New South Wales University Press.

Ok, I still need some things from the list, but I do
try to exhaust all other resources FIRST, and I would
expect other academics to do the same . . .

Denise

=====
"Stupidity is not just a lack of content; it's also a process"
Denise N. Rall, Sustainable Forestry Mentoring Coordinator &
PhD student, School of Education, Southern Cross University,
PO Box 157, Lismore, NSW, 2480 Australia
Phone +61-2-6624-8627 Fax +61-2-6624-8637
Office (Tuesdays) (02) 6620 3577 Mob 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/edu/research/deniserall/index.html