FW: [Air-l] personal homepages

Charlie Breindahl charlie at aoir.org
Mon Nov 17 00:03:46 PST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: air-l-owner at aoir.org [mailto:air-l-owner at aoir.org] On Behalf Of
Susannah Stern
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 4:29 PM
To: air-l at aoir.org
Cc: 'Katerina'
Subject: RE: [Air-l] personal homepages

Dionysis - Many services offer indexes of personal home pages - Geocities,
Yahoo, About.com, Angelfire, http://www.bltg.com/people/ .
I imagine you will run into the same problems with each in that there is no
way to guarantee that they are comprehensive, representative, or that links
are active.  Network sampling might be more useful depending on the goals of
your study, or web rings may provide a point of access (web rings link home
pages to one another based on some theme or topic, typically).
            I've written a bit about personal home pages and have run up
against some of the same issues in sampling and locating home pages; I
discuss some of these issues in my articles. Feel free to check out:

Stern, S. (accepted).  Expressions of identity online: Prominent features
and gender differences in adolescents' WWW home pages.  Journal of
Broadcasting & Electronic Media.  (I can forward you a copy since this is
not yet in print, if you like).

Stern, S.  (2002). Virtually speaking: Girls' self-disclosure on the WWW.
Women's Studies in Communication, 25(2), 223-253.

Stern, S.  (2002).  Sexual selves on the World Wide Web: Adolescent girls'
homepages as sites for sexual self-expression.  In J. Brown, J. Steele, & K.
Walsh-Childers (Eds.) Sexual Teens/Sexual Media: Investigating Media's
Influence on Adolescent Sexuality (pp. 265-286).  NJ:  Lawrence Erlbaum &
Associates.

Stern, S. (1999).  Adolescent girls' expression on WWW home pages: A
qualitative analysis.  Convergence: The Journal of Research into New Media
Technologies, 5(4), 22-41.

Good luck,
Susannah

Susannah Stern, Ph.D.