[Air-l] transcription tools?

Karen Lunsford klunsford at writing.ucsb.edu
Thu Nov 20 20:55:09 PST 2003

Hello AoIR members,

I'm hoping to hear that ethnographic transcription tools have advanced
miraculously since I last was transcribing tapes.  Does anyone know whether it
is now possible to have voice recognition (or other) software transcribe
interview tapes directly?  For example, if I have a digital or analog
recording, is there anything out there that can provide even a rough
transcription of it automatically?  perhaps like closed captioning?

In the past, I've used Dragon Naturally Speaking to help me transcribe analog
audio cassette tapes.  To do this, I listened to the tape using a regular foot-
pedal transcription machine and then repeated everything that I heard into the
microphone attached to the computer.  That way, it didn't matter that I had
multiple voices on the tape and that I didn't have each speaker train the
software to recognize his/her voice (not a possibility).  Dragon was trained
to recognize my voice, and my re-voicing of everything could produce
acceptable first passes of the transcript.  Then, I could go back to edit.
Saved some time, but more important, it saved some of the repetitive motions
of typing.

Does anyone know of a better technique now?  And/or are there tools other than
voice recognition available?

Thanks,
Karen
--
Karen Lunsford, Assistant Professor of Writing
Writing Program
klunsford at writing.ucsb.edu
805-893-8556