Subject: Re: [Air-l] Rich Site Summary Technology

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sun Nov 30 10:18:09 PST 2003

Chris, everyone,

I hate to say this, but i use several rss enabled systems, none of them
require .net or any other microsoft-based systems.  While I appreciate
your effort, I also must say that in my experience .net use is the
minority position for implementing rss systems, this is primarily
because there are rss libraries for nearly all web-based programming
languages, a visit to hotscripts.com clearly shows that.  as for client
side implementations, such as rss aggregators, there are plenty of
options discoverable for nearly any platform, again most without .net,
and several can be found on versiontracker.com  .   likewise a quick
search on google for "rss perl" gives adequate access to perl
tutorials, likewise one can search for python, ruby, or nearly any
other language or toolkit and find some implementation, i even found an
implementation in a unix shell.

as for the implementations that you posted, i'd encourage people to
consider the broader implications(and even the irony) of supporting a
.net or otherwise proprietary platform to perform syndication which is
based on open and accessible standards.

I agree though that rss is a handy tool, there is a ton of info on the
web, and several good books out there:
here are some handy sites:
http://www.oreillynet.com/rss/
http://www.oreillynet.com/topics/rss/rss
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/languages/xml/rss/intro/index.html

now, that said and done,  I don't think  this discussion should be
continued with the tone below.  If you have specific questions about
implementing rss, or other web services on a variety of platforms, I'm
sure we can continue the discussion in a more collegial tone as this is
part of what several of us research, develop and implement on a daily
basis.

have a nice day,

jeremy