[Air-l] AoIR Membership

Suely Fragoso SUELY at icaro.unisinos.br
Tue Nov 4 09:09:20 PST 2003

Dear all

I just read Nancy's presidential toughts and I would like to emphasize
that the special membership price for non-OECD countries is a
powerful help to "bring more people in from underrepresented parts of
the world" (I am quoting Nancy's message here). Membership does not
help people being able to afford to travel for the anual meeting but it
enables access to many conference papers, what constitutes a nice
starting point for sharing ideas and so on.
It is not, however, well known that people in non-OECD countries can
be members of AoIR for a (relatively) small amount of money - I
therefore suggest that this should be better publicised (both in the AoIR
web site and in other mailing lists, for example academic ones shared
by scholars located in those non-OECD countries).
If most people agree with this, I can try to publicise special
membership conditions in some Latin American lists and groups.

Sue

PS For those who intend to protest *against* special prices for non-
OECD countries, I offer just one example: *one coffee* in Canada
costs the equivalent to *a whole healthy meal* in many places in Brazil
- notice that our salaries are proportional to national costs, not
international ones, and you will understand why prices are as relative
as many other matters.

Dr. Suely Fragoso
UNISINOS
Sao Leopoldo   RS