[Air-l] New IT & Civil Society Reports from the Social Science Research Council

Sabino Sabino at ssrc.org
Fri Nov 14 13:41:15 PST 2003

Dear Colleagues:

The transnational digital linkages among civil society organizations have produced an entirely new realm of politics beyond the state. However, there are significant constraints on the further development of civil society networking.

In order to provide the knowledge necessary to move forward to overcome those constraints and expand the global networking of civil society, the Social Science Research Council has produced two reports on information technology and civil society that we think might interest you and are now available. They are:

- "Appropriating the Internet for Social Change: Strategic Uses of Networked Technologies by Transnational Civil Society Organizations "

- "Global Governance of Information Communication Technology: Implications for Transnational Civil Society Networking."

The reports can be read on or downloaded from our Web site at www.ssrc.org/programs/itic  If you would prefer to receive a hard copy please send a request to Ms. Marcela Sabino at sabino at ssrc.org.

In addition, we have recently published Bombs and Bandwidth which examines the use of ICT by governments, businesses, terrorist and criminal organizations, and social movements. The book has been featured in an article on MSNBC Newsweek: http://www.msnbc.com/news/986097.asp?0cv=KB20 Background on the book is available on our web site <www.ssrc.org/programs/itic> .

**Note:  This is an announcement by the Information Technology and International Cooperation program at SSRC.  You are not subscribed to a mailing list.  If you prefer not to receive announcements from us in the future, please let us know.  We hope that you will be interested and engaged with our efforts.**