[Air-l] recent cyberculture novels?

Kendall, Lori Lori.Kendall at purchase.edu
Wed Nov 5 20:24:44 PST 2003

Cassandra wrote:

> In my undergraduate Communication Technology and Culture class, I
> typically assign one or two novels. In the past I've assigned
> Stephenson's _Snow Crash_ (1992) and Coupland's _Microserfs_ (1995).
> I'm looking for more recently-published novels that contain similar
> themes. If you have any suggestions to share, please send an email.

Actually, I would be interested in the answer to this also.
In my Computers and Culture class, I have split the class into
groups who read either Neuromancer, Snow Crash, or David Brin's
Earth.  Two years ago (when I last taught the class), those
didn't go over that well, so I'm wondering what to use for next
semester.  I use these in a section of the class in which we
discuss the cultural meanings of science fiction representations
of computers; in the past I have required them to watch and comment
on The Matrix as well.

Lori
Lori Kendall
Assistant Professor of Sociology