[Air-l] transcription tools?

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Nov 21 08:35:50 PST 2003

I tried the dragon system with the dragon recorder, it didn't work well
because dragon required the training for the voice to be recognized.
with it trained to recognize my voice it was only partly reliable, i'd
say 70%, and fixing it was harder than transcribing it from a pedal
controlled tape.  I also tried a regular digital recorder and it worked
more or less the same way.  the real issue is with the training of the
software to recognize voices and the specialized languages of certain
professions, but I also highly recommend having a recorder with a real
external microphone because you get better fidelity and somewhat better
recognition or so i thought when i tried it.  of course my experience
is 2 years old now, so technologies may have improved.