[Air-l] Request for Resources: The Internet and Warfare

Mike Two Horses twohorse at vt.edu
Tue Nov 4 09:06:17 PST 2003

This isn't an online source, or really about discourse/conduct of 21st
century warfare per se, but it's really important base reading material:
"Just and Unjust Wars: A Moral Argument With Historical Illustrations,"
by Michael Walzer.  "A classic treatment of the morality of war written
by one of our country's leading philosophers, with a new introduction
considering the wars in Bosnia and Kosovo. Just and Unjust Wars examines
a variety of conflicts in order to understand exactly why, according to
Walzer, 'the argument about war and justice is still a political and
moral necessity.' Walzer's classic work draws on historical
illustrations that range all the way from the Athenian attack on Melos
to this morning's headlines, and uses the testimony of
participants-decision makers and victims alike-to examine the moral
issues of warfare." (from the jacket)

I used this book as an adjunct resource when teaching American Indian
Warfare at the University of Arizona, but it's applicable across all
times.

Mike Two Horses
Assistant Professor, American Indian Studies
Department of Interdisciplinary Studies, Virginia Tech
344 Lane Hall (0227)
Blacksburg VA 24061
(540)231-8779  Fax: 231-7013
twohorse at vt.edu