[Air-l] Request for Resources: The Internet and Warfare

Alex Kuskis akuskis at ican.net
Tue Nov 4 13:56:37 PST 2003

I suggest that you look at Michael Ignatieff's (2000), Virtual War, NY:
Viking.
Here is a quote from it:
"For the citizens of the NATO countries, on the other hand, the war
was virtual. They were mobilized not as combatants but as spectators.
The war was a spectacle: it aroused emotions in the intense but
shallow way that sports do. The events in question were as remote
from their essential concerns as a football game, and even though
the game was in deadly earnest, the deaths were mostly hidden, and
above all, they were someone else's. If war becomes unreal to the
citizens of modern democracies, will they care enough to restrain
and control the violence exercized in their name?"
- Michael Ignatieff, Virtual War" (2000, p. 3)

For network centric warfare, download
http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/engraph/Vol2/no2/pdf/23-30_e.pdf
A Google search will find you lots of other material.

I think the individual you might be alluding to is a Captain Mark
Tempestilli of the U.S. Naval Academy. He used to be on the
Media Ecology list too and the email I have for him is tempesti at usna.edu
Alex Kuskis PhD Candidate, OISE/University of Toronto
Associate Faculty, Royal Roads University
Masters Program in Distributed Learning (MADL)
http://www.royalroads.ca/
akuskis at ican.net ** alex.kuskis at royalroads.ca
"Learning a living" - Marshall McLuhan