[Air-l] IRB permissions for online gaming studies?

Dmitri Williams dcwillia at umich.edu
Mon Oct 13 12:10:51 PDT 2003

Michele,

I am just finishing up a dissertation that involved both participant
observation and survey waves for those kind of online gamers, and I can
add a little on the IRB process. In a nutshell, it was a right pain,
but doable.

As you know, the crux of the matter was whether or not I would be
exposing subjects to potentially harmful or socially objectionable
materials without parental consent. There is no honest way to avoid
either, especially since the research involves finding out if the stuff
is harmful in the first place. Compounding the problem was the
inability to easily verify the age of the subjects if the study is all
online. I did in fact mail my subjects stimulus materials, but since
there was no in-person contact even via snail mail, there was no true
way to be sure the subjects were of age or had indeed secured consent.

Still, probably the biggest obstacle was the IRB's own unfamiliarity
with the medium and the genre. They really did not understand what an
MMRPG was, and  I had to brief them on it. What I think sold them was
telling them that the game is not in fact dominated by 13-year olds,
and is instead largely adult-populated. After telling them that and
agreeing to their language for a consent statement, they let me go
ahead. True to form, my final sample turned out to be only about 4%
under 18 years old.

The only other thing I had to promise was to self-identify when doing
the participant observation part. That element might be skirted
honestly by having a readily available profile with researcher
disclosure and a link to a supporting web page. After all, it messes up
the flow of the work to constantly remind other players that one is a
grad student examining them: Hey, let's go attack that creature, and by
the way, I'm a grad student collecting data on you . . .

Cheers,

Dmitri