[Air-l] Post-conference thank you

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Wed Oct 22 08:04:18 PDT 2003

It was a pleasure seeing many familiar faces,
many new ones, and many who have posted to air-l
(and who will hopefully post to it in the future)
at last week's AoIR conference in Toronto.

There are many people to thank for the success of
the conference in Toronto. I could create a list
that would be longer than air-l rules allow! In
no order but that of largely memory, my sincerest
thanks go to Program Chair Matthew Allen,
Conference Chair Liss Jeffrey and her co-Chair
David Mitchell, the myriad volunteers on-site
(Susan Aaron , Kristen Berg, Chris Cocca, Bernie
Hogan, Graig Kent, Alex Kuskis, Trishna Ninan,
Dhirender Nirwani, Jason Nolan, Katherine
Parrish, Monica Prijatelj, Inna Romanovska, Jason
Shim, Phuoc Tran, Mark Tufford, and likely others
whose names I don't know) before, during (and
probably after) the conference, Barry Wellman for
his great local assistance, and the myriad
proposal reviewers (Samantha Adams, Ben Anderson,
Mark Andrejevic, Kumiko Aoki, Michael
Arnold-Mages, Senthilkumar Ayyasamy, Gitte Bang
Stald, Mads B¯dker, Klaus Bruhn Jensen, Ulla
Bunz, John Campbell, Scott Campbell, Alexander
Campbell-Halavais, Martin S¯nderlev Christensen,
Deborah Cohen, Mia Consalvo, Ann De Vaney, Simon
Egenfeldt-Nielsen, Eric George, Gerard Goggin,
Eszter Hargittai, Andy Herman, Bernie Hogan,
Philip Howard, Jeremy Hunsinger, Venilde
Jeronimo, Michelle Kazmer, Lori Kendall, Tracy
Kennedy, Storm King, Lisbeth Klastrup, Rita
Lauria, Jane Long, Uwe Matzat, Dan Menchik,
Catherine Middleton, Adrian Mihalache, Melanie
Mortensen, Gina Neff, Jason Nolan, Diana
Odom-Gunn, Han Woo Park, Serge Proulx, Denise
Rall, Gilad Ravid, Wendy Robinson, Christian
Sandvig, Michael Schulte, Susannah Stern,
Jonathan Sterne, Jennifer Stromer-Galley, TL
Taylor, Rianne Ten Veen, Fred Turner, Cassandra
Van Buren, Michele Willson, Mete Yildiz, and
there may yet be others whom I've not listed),
Jason Nolan and his crew for blogging and blog
setup, Eric George for coordination of
Francophone sessions, Graham Longford and Reem
El-Tawashy for the printed program and to Ryerson
University's School of Information Technology
Management for assistance with its printing and
with the printing of abstracts, Ira Nayman for
bringing up Toronto as a site in the first place,
some two years ago, seed sponsors Seneca College,
the University of Toronto's Knowledge Media
Design Institute (KMDI), Bell University Labs at
the University of Toronto, byDesign eLab,
eCommons/Agora, as well as Sage Publications,
Apple Computer/Apple-Canada for technology
support and demos, Heritage Canada, Industry
Canada, and let's not forget the terrific people
on the hotel staff who took very good care of us,
particularly Jim Muratori and Gary Krantz.

I also wish to particularly thank Rhiannon Bury,
University of Waterloo, Catherine Middleton,
Ryerson University, and Olivia Robertson, OISE,
University of Toronto, who worked tirelessly
during the run-up to the conference to put all
the pieces together and make it happen.

If I've left anyone out I do apologize...over
time as our conferences have grown so too has
(thank goodness!) the number of people involved
and so too has my memory served me less well.

I will hope to see you all at next year's conference in Sussex, UK!

Steve Jones
Sj

the longest air-l daily digest: The Infonomics
Institute and its Director, Luc Soete, The Cal
Company and the MECC (which I still think stands
for "Monica's Excellent Conference Center"), the
members of the program committee and our terrific
program chair this year Klaus Bruhn Jensen, the
members of the executive committee, our
keynoters, Apple Computer, Sander Pomme, Herman
Pijper, Sage Publications for sponsoring a
refreshment break...and on and on.

Nevertheless, the primary "mover and shaker"
behind it was Monica Murero and she deserves all
of the thanks and credit in the world, certainly
far more than I can convey. It was through her
hard work and dedication that the stage was
literally set for the several days we were able
to meet, talk, think, share, eat, in some cases
dance, and for many us rarely get some sleep. The
conference was splendid, and I'm sure I speak on
behalf of the attendees, as well as many who were
unable to attend, in addition to myself, by
saying that Monica has earned her place in AoIR
history.

Given this, she and the others of you, whether in
Maastricht or not, have assured AoIR a strong and
vibrant future. Two years ago when we met for the
first time at the University of Kansas it was not
entirely certain that we would have another
meeting. The good people at the University of
Minnesota ensured that we would, and I was more
than heartened by the turnout there, in the face
of great unease about travel - some of which
continues to this day, and if not unease about
travel then unease about the prospect of war. I
continue to be grateful that so many are willing
to spend time away from family and other loved
ones to be with colleagues and friends for some
days. Spending time with one another is a gift I
suspect we do not think about as much as we may
have before we had the Internet and widespread
use of email, but it is cherished.

It is my hope that many of you will again spend
some time together, with me, in Toronto, October
16 - 19, 2003. There is a productive and spirited
discussion on air-meet already going on
concerning planning for the conference, and I
encourage you to join in if you would like
(http://www.aoir.org/mailman/listinfo/air-meet).
Liss Jeffrey, David Mitchell and Matthew Allen
are already leading us toward another excellent
gathering in a year's time. We will need
reviewers for conference paper, panel, workshop,
etc., proposals - I cannot stress enough how much
we will need your help for that!

And I encourage you to consider hosting a future
conference, so I will be re-posting our Call for
Hosts in a moment. It is, of course, a lot of
work to host a conference, but with each one we
are better able to plan and anticipate the needs.
Given our rapid growth we need to be planning
still further ahead, and I will look forward to
our 2004, 2005 and beyond meetings,too, with
great anticipation.

It is on such a note of encouragement that I will
end this report. AoIR has grown phenomenally, and
to make it an association that you like, you need
to be involved in it. If you like something about
it, please work with us to make it more to your
liking. If you don't like something about it,
work to change it. Whatever you do, do not walk
away from it - neither we, nor you, I venture,
can possibly gain that way. We have a diverse
group of members, and we could diversify still
further, but diversification, like anything else,
will not happen if we look for someone else to do
it for us. Tell people you think might be
interested in AoIR about us. Join in on air-meet
or on a working group. Propose a working group to
start a new initiative. Propose panels, papers.
Post to air-l. This association sprang from the
desire of a few people to do something and from
the follow-up actions they took, and it can
continue only if others act on their interests
and desires. Get in touch with me or with other
members of the executive committee at your
pleasure and let us know your thoughts and
interests, and your interest to volunteer.