[Air-l] REPORTER'S REQUEST: email community action

Frank Thomas frank.thomasftr at free.fr
Sat Oct 25 04:05:09 PDT 2003

david silver wrote:

>please contact matt falloon if interested ...

If you could give his address ..

Do they? What means - working well? Chatting about politics? Changing
political agendas? Or producing political outcomes ?

>3) does the internet represent the forum for future
>mass political action?

Stalin once asked: How many batallions has the pope? In the long run,
history proved the question to be stupid. In the short run, he was right.
Today, I would say: How many votes did the winner get through the
Internet at the last election? But in the long run ???

Mass political action produces political impact when you see people on
the street, and on the TV screen, and at ballot boxes. Internet (or
email?) is an additional communication tool which might reduce the
weight of the other political communication means, but not
fundamentally. So, it does not represent THE forum.

>4) is the internet allowing people to get into
>politics and voice their opinions once again and perhaps in a more
>proactive way then before?

Technically speaking, it allows that, though politically speaking I'd
say: why should a technical tool, a communication means, change
political motivation, political convictions? People don't engage in
politics, as they don't see their ideas represented by today's political
movements. They see that influencing a political decision needs a large
investment. If a political movement can motivate (the basic condition)
AND provide an easy going comm tool at the same time (the secondary
condition), you might get people to act more proactively. See the mobile
mobs at Seattle, at Genoa. A change of technology alone does nothing.