[Air-l] AOIR Toronto: Special Events

Rhiannon Bury welshwitch75 at rogers.com
Fri Oct 10 11:27:04 PDT 2003

Hi all:

We are now less than a week away from the start of the conference. This
is the first of several messages you'll be getting from me in the next
day or two.

If anyone has sent a cheque for the gala dinner and/or the roundtable
brunch  instead of using Kagi, can you please email me at rbury at wlu.ca
to ensure that we are are in receipt or that it's on its way. I want to
ensure ensure that your meal is ordered and a ticket placed in your
registration kit!

I also want to draw your attention to the following special conference
events

Thanks

Rhiannon

Art Installations

Recent work by the following three artists will be available for
viewing during the welcome reception and the pre-gala dinner cocktail. Each artist
will introduce his/her work and be available to discuss their work.

Thursday October 16 5:30 to 7:00 pm
Location: TBA at welcome reception

Vincent John Vincent and and Francis MacDougall

"Innovation at Your Fingertips"

JestPointT is the core technology powering Jestertek's line of
interactive products. JestPoint utilizes advanced real-time computer
vision techniques to isolate and track your hand, converting your simple
gestures into direct mouse control in a variety of environments.

JestPointT allows any screen of any size to be controlled from any
distance. Besides numerous pu
blic forum installations, JestPoint's
stereo analysis and control technology is applicable for desktop PCs,
corporate presentations, trade shows, education, security,
entertainment, fitness and rehabilitation, and more.

Saturday October 18, 5:30 to 7:00pm Locations
TBA during pre-gala cocktail.

1. Johannes Birringer

"reappearcances and oracles"

Film installation by Johannes Birringer (editor)

The first international Interaction Laboratory at the former Coal Mine
Göttelborn took place in July 2003, produced by  Industrial Culture Saar
  and organized by director/choreographer Johannes Birringer.

Göttelborn is projected to become a future high tech location of the
Saarland, a small state in southwest Germany bordering on France and
Luxemburg. The Laboratory was designed as an experiment in the
re-utilization of the abandoned site which now anticipates economic and
architectural development.

In this changing landscape of industrial culture, an innovative
platform
was seeded for integrated research in media and technologies, especially
interactive performance and telecommunications. The film reflects the
project introducing some of the poetic interactions with the location in
  the work of the 21 participants of the laboratory who came from four
different continents.

Camera: Jim Ruxton, Maria Stamenkovic, Beatrice Sauberbrey and Johannes
 > Birringer. Editor/Producer: Johannes Birringer

2. Lisa Naugle

"Songs of Sorrow, Songs of Hope" (2001)

A performance commemorating September 11, 2001 tragedies was conducted
in real-time at New York University and the University of California,
Irvine. At UCI, The Dance and Digital Performance
Ensemble, directed by Lisa Naugle, explored new ways to work with
  technology, sending high-bandwidth audio and video back and forth
using Internet 2.  Internet 2 allowed each venue to receive sound and
video simultaneously. The performers on each coast interacted in a
structured improv
isational mix using VBrick Systems' television-quality
video-over-IP system, which enables each venue to receive sound and
video in real time. One of the visual threads created with John Crawford
was "The Machine Meeting Its Reflection" or the image of airplanes
crashing into the World Trade Center, meeting their own reflection in
the windows; also creating a conceptual reflection on technology, the
disaster of it and its power to bounce back and effect us.