[Air-l] help with computer logging software

Kris Markman jho-kmm at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 2 10:12:16 PDT 2003

Dear AoIR folks,
I'm trying to get underway with a pilot study that requires complete
tracking of computer activity during mediated team meetings. I'm
looking for software that *ideally* will both record all key strokes
in all applications and take either periodic screen shots or record
screen activity as an mpeg or similar file. However, I would also
settle for software that did either of these things (screen recording
or keystroke logging) as long as it did them *well*. I've tried a
couple of low-cost shareware programs but have not been able to get
them to run or download correctly.

I've found plenty of lists of software packages, but I'm looking for
some kind of more reliable reviews of this type of software, most of
which seems to be marketed to parents and spouses who want to spy on
their loved ones' computer behavior.

I would love to hear from people on this list who've used this type
of software before, and can point me in the direction of relatively
inexpensive packages I can use. In the ideal world the software I use
would have Mac and Windows versions, but I expect this will be much
harder to find.

Please feel free to reply to me off list with any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks!
-Kris
--
*   Kris M. Markman, M.A. 		     	*