AW: [Air-l] Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities

Charles Hendricksen veritas at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 24 17:21:11 PDT 2003

Nature has a news article on PLoS (Public Library of Science) in its 9
October issue (p554).  The author reports that some editors feel that
the "author pays" model will underfund the journal by a factor of four
or more.  Of note are two other financial factors: PLoS is being
subsidized to the tune of $9 million; and that some institutions will be
picking up the $1500 "distribution fee.