[Air-l] Student peer-to-peer infiltration

Holly Kruse holly-kruse at utulsa.edu
Wed Sep 3 14:46:55 PDT 2003

I'm the advisor for an undergraduate student who, as his senior
project, is going to record a CD with his band.  But beyond
that, to make it senior project-worthy, he wants to infiltrate
a peer-to-peer network through a backdoor with MP3s of the
music and track how much it gets downloaded.

He is very excited about this, and I'm excited that he's
excited, but I also don't want to be presiding over a
senior project that creates ethical problems, especially
at the institutional level.  Any thoughts on this: whether
this project seems totally kosher, whether it should be
re-tooled and how, etc.?

TIA,

Holly

-----