[Air-l] The death of chat?

Collette Snowden collettesnowden at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 23:05:35 PDT 2003

Steve Jones wrote :

> Given the international membership on this list I'd be very
> interested in hearing reactions to MSN's announcement from outside
> the U.S. The news stories I heard about it on the radio in the U.S.
> emphasized spam and porn as being the reasons for the closing. Is
> that the reporting elsewhere?

Hi,

I'm in Singapore temporarily ( somewhat ironically, teaching New Media and International Communication) and the news I have heard/read/seen has emphasised  paedophile/spam as the reasons for the Microsoft decision.

I agree with other posts that the decision is also likely to be connected to commercial reasons ( Hi, Microsoft lurkers - you can tick that box), I also wonder if there may be legal reasons, as laws in each country in relation to paedophilia and the internet seem to  vary - eg we saw recently how Pete Townsend was caught up in a paedophile inquiry as a result of downloading material for 'research', and then there was the famous German case where the CEO ( name??) was prosecuted for trading in pornography - perhaps there are also reasons that Microsoft has identified which are related to the potential for litigation by victims of paedophilia/spam. The US first amendment, after all, provides rare legal protection (?)  for  pornographers/paedophiles and other pests ( netmarketers).

Do any legal experts have a view on this?

Collette Snowden

University of South Australia