[Air-l] pol econ

Jonathan Sterne jsterne+ at pitt.edu
Sat Sep 6 11:00:05 PDT 2003

Hi All,

I missed the replies as well (and would love to see them), but in
case these were missed, here are a few suggestions:

Dan Schiller, _Digital Capitalism_, especially the first two chapters
Nick Dyer-Witheford, _CyberMarx_
Bob McChesney's internet chapter in _Rich Media, Poor Democracy_
Robins and Webster _Times of the Technoculture_

some oldie but goodies:
Aronowitz and DiFazio, _The Jobless Future_
Brook and Boal _resisting the Virutal Life_
Gandy _The Panoptic Sort_
Mosco and Wasco _The Political Economy of Information_

and a newbie but goody:

Michelle Rodino, currently a grad student here, will soon defend her
very interesting dissertation on mobile computing technologies and
the digital economy.

for "raw material" for lectures and such, I read the business press and Wired.

---

I may have made this point onlist before, but for all the studies of
cybersex, you'd think someone would do a real study of the political
economy of the internet porn industry, especially given that it's
apparently one of the few ways to make money online.  The only thing
I know is an Annalee Newitz piece on the wholesale/retail economics
of it in _Punk Planet_ a few years back.  Even Eric Schlosser's new
book only touches upon it.

Best,
--J