[Air-l] 7 new papers on opensource.mit.edu

Karim R. Lakhani lakhani at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 24 09:40:17 PDT 2003

HI Y'All!

I hope the new academic year for everyone has started well.  I am in the
midst of my PhD comprehensive exams (written component was last friday
and this coming friday is the oral!) - but felt kind of guilty with the
long que of articles that needed to be posted.  Any way, as usual we
have had a great summer harvest!  Please do send your comments to the
authors.

Many thanks to all the authors for their submissions.

Here are the papers:

Paper 1
Authors:
Casadesus-Masanell, Ramon & Pankag Ghemawat
Title:
Dynamic Mixed Duopoly: A Model Motivated by Linux vs. Windows
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/masanellghemawat.pdf
Abstract:
This paper analyzes a dynamic mixed duopoly in which a profit-maximizing
competitor interacts with a competitor that prices at zero (or marginal
cost), with the cumulation of output affecting their relative positions
over time. The modeling effort is motivated by interactions between
Linux, an open-source operating system, and Microsofts Windows in the
computer server segment, and consequently emphasizes demand-side
learning effects that generate dynamic scale economies (or network
externalities). Analytical characterizations of the equilibrium under
such conditions are offered, and some comparative static and welfare
effects are examined.

Paper 2
Authors:
Demil, Benoit & Xavier Lecocq
Title:
Neither market or hierarchy or network: The emerging bazaar governance
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/demillecocq.pdf
Abstract
Despite the growing body of literature describing the open-source
phenomenon, few contributions have been theoretically grounded and
research has largely focused on the software industry. Drawing on
transaction cost economics, we go beyond these limitations and advance
that open source constitutes a new generic governance structure—which we
label bazaar governance— based on a specific contract. We characterize
this structure in terms of its strengths and weaknesses and in
comparison with market, firm and network structures. We consider how
bazaar governance is actualized within an industry and the institutional
entrepreneur’s crucial role in this process. Finally, we propose that
bazaar governance has a profound impact on the structure of the industry
in which it is introduced.

Paper 3
Authors:
González-Barahona, Jesús M & Gregorio Robles
Title:
Free software engineering: A field to explore
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/barahonarobles.pdf
Abstract:
The challenge of free software is not that of a new competitor who,
under the same rules, produces software faster, cheaper and of a better
quality. Free software differs from "traditional" software in more
fundamental aspects, starting with philosophical reasons and
motivations, continuing with new economic and market rules and ending up
with a different way of producing software. Software Engineering cannot
ignore this phenomenon, and the last five years or so has seen ever more
research into all these issues. This article takes a look at the most
significant studies in this field and the results they are producing,
with a view to providing the reader with a vision of the state of the
art and the future prospects of what we have come to call free Software
Engineering.
Paper 4
Authors:
Lakhani, Karim R & Bob Wolf
Title:
Why Hackers Do What They Do: Understanding Motivation and Effort in
Free/Open Source Software Projects
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/lakhaniwolf.pdf
Abstract:
In this paper we report on the results of a study of the effort and
motivations of individuals to contributing to the creation of Free/Open
Source software. We surveyed 684 software developers in 287 F/OSS
projects, to learn what lies behind the effort put into such projects.
Academic theorizing on individual motivations for participating in F/OSS
projects has posited that external motivational factors in the form of
extrinsic benefits are the main drivers of effort. We find in contrast,
that enjoyment-based intrinsic motivation, namely how creative a person
feels when working on the project, is the strongest and most pervasive
driver. We also find that user need, intellectual stimulation derived
from writing code, and improving programming skills are top motivators
for project participation.
Paper 5
Authors:
Stewart, Katherine J & Sanjay Gosain
Title:
Impacts of ideology, trust, and communication on effectivness in open
source software development teams
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/stewartgosain.pdf
Abstract:
This paper develops a framework of the OSS ideology (including specific
norms, beliefs, and values) and a theoretical model to show how
components of the ideology, combined with trust and communication,
impact effectiveness in OSS teams. The research model proposes distinct
roles for affective trust, cognitive trust, social communication, and
task communication as determinants of OSS team effectiveness. The
results suggest that in order for OSS projects to grow into the kind of
large successes that prior work has studied, the teams that work on them
should foster the norms and values of the larger community and maintain
consistent task communication to develop cognitive trust among members.
Authors:
van Reijswoud, Victor & Corrado Topi
Title:
Alternative Routes in the Digital World: Open Source Software in Africa
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/reijswoudtopi.pdf
Abstract:
Software allows people to work with computers. Operating Software
controls the hardware components and application software provide tools
to facilitate and support the users' work. Most of the softwares are
owned by private people or companies and users by licenses to use the
software. This type of software is called proprietary or closed source
software since the user purchases a license for using the product and
the actual product (source code). At present Microsoft and Oracle are
the biggest producers of this type software in the world. In the two
decades a new approach for software development is emerging. Open Source
Software movement is built on the premise that better software is
produced when everyone is allowed to modify and change the software. So,
in stead of selling user licenses, the product (source code) is
distributed. The article discusses the differences between Open and
Closed Source Software and reasons that organizations in the African
context should decide to embrace the Open Source Software initiative.
Several emerging initiatives promoting the use of Open Source Software
are considered.
Paper 7
Author
Barnes, Jonathan
Title:
Open Source Software as an organisational Technology
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/barnes.pdf
Abstract:
This paper is still relatively preliminary, yet it provides a decent
introduction to open source, as well as including discussion on various
economic issues, contained in the following sections: The benefits of
Open Source, Possible incentives that encourage contribution, Barriers
to widespread implementation of Open Source.

Karim R. Lakhani
MIT Sloan School of Management
&
The Boston Consulting Group, Strategy Practice Initiative
e-mail: karim.lakhani at sloan.mit.edu | lakhani.karim at bcg.com
voice:  617-851-1224
fax:    617-344-0403
http://spoudaiospaizen.net/