[Air-l] fAf Oct 03: Made Men, Richard Bell in cyberTribe

linda carroli lcarroli at pacific.net.au
Tue Sep 30 13:30:30 PDT 2003

fineArt forum
October 2003

fineArt forum = art + technology netnews
http://www.fineartforum.org -or-
http://www.cdes.qut.edu.au/Fineart_Online

This month's issue:
:: Made Men, Richard Bell in cyberTribe
:: MelbourneDAC in fAf
:: In focus: The Year of Living Digitally, Singapore; GENEVA-03, WSIS;
NICA, Yangon; The Radii Ezine, Australia
:: fAf_15: 15th anniversary cdrom

:: Made Men, new work by Richard Bell in cyberTribe
Curator, Jenny Fraser presents a new cyberTribe exhibition of work by
Telstra National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art Award winner,
Richard Bell whose recent works were presented at Metro Arts in Brisbane.
Bell won the award with his painting titled, 'Aboriginal Art - it's a White
Thing.' The accompanying essay for Made Men, states: "We could note the
patently incendiary - yet also cryptic and sometimes literally encrypted -
phrases like 'Kill Mabo' and 'Hide Ya Kidz' that Bell comes up with in some
of his paintings. Or, in a rather different vein, we could think of one
part of the four-part work called Worth Exploring? (2002): a blown-up
version of a carefully composed statutory declaration in which Bell points
out the illegality of the white occupation of Australia, taking this
illegality as the premise for the claim that everything subsequent to this
occupation is ultra vires (illegal, outside the law), and drawing the
consequence that all non-Aboriginal Australians must be counted as
criminals and all Aboriginal people recognised as the victims of crime. We
could also think of a new series of paintings, where Bell quotes from the
comic-strip-style paintings of Pop artist Roy Lichtenstein to comment on
attitudes to black-white sexual relationships, broaching what is a taboo or
no-go area even now."
http://www.fineartforum.org/Gallery/cybertribe/bell/index.htm

:: DAC in fAf
The papers from MelbourneDAC continue in fAfTEXT until November with more
than 60 papers from DAC (Digital Arts and Culture) Conference held in
Melbourne in May. MelbourneDAC +streaming wor(l)ds+ was the first major
academic conference on streaming media, computer games and game culture,
hypertext and interactive film in Australia. It provided a platform for
critical discussion on the implications technological and creative
innovations are having on us as globally networked communities,
MelbourneDAC brought together producers, theorists, critics, designers, new
media artists, educators, filmmakers, curators, researchers and students
who share a passionate interest in digital arts and culture.
http://www.fineartforum.org/Backissues/Vol_17/faf_v17_n10/reviews/reviews_index.html

:: In focus
Upfront: The Year of Living Digitally - Singapore's first new media and
digital arts festival.
http://www.fineartforum.org/Backissues/Vol_17/faf_v17_n10/upfront_index.html

Events: GENEVA-03, WSIS - an open, loose and temporary association of
groups and individuals who are currently preparing a series of events
around the WSIS.
http://www.fineartforum.org/Backissues/Vol_17/faf_v17_n10/events_index.html

Opportunities: Networking and Initiatives for Culture and the Arts, Yangon
- a newly established art center aimed at contributing to development in
the fields of culture and the arts.
http://www.fineartforum.org/Backissues/Vol_17/faf_v17_n10/opps_index.html

Stuff: The Radii Ezine, Australia - new issue now online
http://www.fineartforum.org/Backissues/Vol_17/faf_v17_n10/stuff_index.html

PLUS more news, announcements and calls ...

:: fAf_15: 15th anniversary cdrom
Don't forget that fAf_15, our commemorative 15th anniversary cdrom is still
available and free. On fAf_15, we present the magazine's entire archive as
well as specially commissioned and collated new material. fAf_15 is an
invaluable resource for researchers, artists, writers and activists in the
new media, science and technology fields. It will be particularly useful to
those living and working in areas where internet access is difficult and
unreliable. We are distributing the cdrom to screen resource centres, arts
and artist groups, new media events and libraries worldwide to enhance
access in those hard to reach areas. To obtain a copy, email fAf at
l2.carroli at qut.edu.au with your name and postal address.
http://www.fineartforum.org/aboutus/highlights_index.html

. . . . .