[Air-l] CFP: After Social Construction: Technology, Knowledge and Society

Jonathan Sterne jsterne+ at pitt.edu
Thu Sep 25 14:02:56 PDT 2003

[CFP -- please distribute widely; apologies for cross-posting]

AFTER SOCIAL CONSTRUCTION: TECHNOLOGY, KNOWLEDGE AND SOCIETY

A Special Issue of _Social Epistemology_

500 word proposals due:  1 December 2003

Submission Deadline: 1 March 2004

Issue Editors Jonathan Sterne and Joan Leach

Formatted .html and .pdf calls available at
http://www.pitt.edu/~jsterne/asc.html.

As promoted by Bruno Latour, Wiebe Bijker, Trevor Pinch, and many
others, social construction of technology (SCOT) approaches have been
a major force in technology studies.  They have offered vital
alternatives to positivistic and deterministic conceptions of
technology; rich notions of human and technological agency; and new
objects and approaches for the cultural, historical and philosophical
approaches to technology.  At the same time, critics have charged
that SCOT does nothing more than repeatedly discover that it objects
are "socially constructed."

As the approach becomes more established in technology studies, and
as authors like Ian Hacking challenge the limits of the SCOT
paradigm, we want to know what comes next.  Is this a moment to find
the next step after social construction?  Or is this a moment where
we can build a new social epistemology of technology that presupposes
a constructionist paradigm?

For our special issue of _Social Epistemology_, the editors seek two
kinds of submissions:

***full length essays (approximately 9000 words) that challenge,
extend, rethink or pose robust alternatives to the SCOT approach

***short position papers of no more than 1000 words for a forum on
the SCOT paradigm and the future of technology studies.

Visit the _Social Epistemology_ page at Routledge for full style guidelines:
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/authors/sepauth.html

Email submissions are preferred, though snail mail is acceptable.
Send all submissions and queries to:

Jonathan Sterne
Department of Communication
University of Pittsburgh