[Air-l] e-science, the grid, and supercomputers

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 25 10:49:25 PDT 2003

NSF funded a number of initiatives that may be called e-science under the
KDI (Knowledge and Distributed Intelligence) initiative. I have been part
of one of those grants looking primarily at collaborative processes around
inter- and multi-disciplinary endeavors around the grid and with
distributed groups (see http://www.dkrc.org/ for details but with the
caveat that the site is under construction).

We have two major publications as a group  one that summarizes our
original position
	Kanfer, A., Haythornthwaite, C., Bowker, G.C., Bruce, B.C.,
Burbules, N., Porac, J., & Wade, J. (2000). Modeling distributed knowledge
processes in next generation multidisciplinary alliances. Information
Systems Frontiers, 2(3/4), 317-331.
	and one that describes the challenges of both this kind of
research and this kind of work (see
http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~haythorn/hay_challenges.html for a draft,
currently under review with Social Studies of Science).

As Wes Shrum pointed out the Social Studies of Science conferences and
journal are good places to start with this. And, as Denise Rall pointed
out, some of us at the Oxford Internet Institutes recent conference were
able to participate in a brain storming session around this topic led by
Steve Woolgar. I'd add that the social studies of technology area is very
relevant to this topic as well.

/Caroline

 Caroline Haythornthwaite (haythorn at uiuc.edu) www.lis.uiuc.edu/~haythorn
 Associate Professor phone: (217) 244-7453
 Graduate School of Library and Information Science fax: (217) 244-3302
 501 East Daniel St., Champaign, IL 61820