[Air-l] e-science, the grid, and supercomputers

elijah wright elw at stderr.org
Thu Sep 25 12:35:33 PDT 2003

> Having recently been made aware that my university is moving in a very
> major way into the field of e-science by bringing online a new
> supercomputer and intending to hook that up to the national lambdarail
> project as part of the terascale grid computing network, I'm wondering
> if anyone on the list is working on any of these topics, as they all
> have to do with internet research in some way, and specifically
> scientific uses of the internet, well at least in our case.

Our university (Indiana U) is pretty heavily invested in grid research,
and becoming more so.  Computer Science was awarded several fairly weighty
grants in the last couple of weeks, so I expect the investment will
escalate ....

I'm not convinced that "grid computing" is anything more than a word that
people toss off to describe a set of paradigmatic assumptions - i've heard
it used in several radically different ways by people doing computational
work in different source domains.

elijah