[Air-l] recs for books/essays on new media political economies

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Sep 3 07:49:57 PDT 2003

my class isn't really new media, but there is some cross over between
the political economy of the internet/information society, i suppose,
so my class uses:
Manuel Castells The Network Society
Michael Perelman Class Warfare in the Information Age
Lawrence Lessig  The Future of Ideas
Virtuality CHeck  Francois Fourtier

other works:
Dyer-Witherford, Nick  Cybermarx
Stephen Kline, et. al. Digital Play: the Interaction of Technology,
Culture and Marketing
Lawrence Lessig, Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace
Mueller, Milton. Ruling the Root: Internet Governance and the Taming of
Cyberspace
Negri, Antonia, and Hart  Empire

everything here:
http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-9903/msg00071.html

Phil Graham has also done some work in this area in various journals
some can be found on his webpage here
http://www.cds-web.net/philindex.htm

and let's not forget Kate's Class:)
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Users/qlff7/polecom.shtml